So, today, I am going to put on my big girl britches on and move on. Mistakes are just that, mistakes…you can’t reverse time and change them, but you can learn from them and not repeat them in the future. This is all we can do in life…learn from our mistakes. It is how we grow, change, and learn. Mistakes make us who we are, we all make them…it is what we do after the mistake that counts. Today, I am moving on and moving forward at being the best me I can be! Sure, I will continue to make mistakes and I will continue to learn from those mistakes…but my mistakes won’t define me, my successes will! I forgive myself.
6 Helpful Tips to Help You Forgive Yourself
- Before you can start to forgive yourself, you need to acknowledge that you made a mistake and take responsibility for that mistake. You can do this is a few different ways. One way is to say the mistake out loud to yourself in the mirror. Another way is to admit the mistake to a trusted friend, partner, or someone that was involved in the mistake. Finally, you can journal about the mistake. The important thing to do is admit to yourself that you did something wrong and you are ready to own up to it and heal.
- Take time to reflect and accept that you are only human. Write down all of your irrational thoughts about the mistake. Then for each irrational thought write down the rational thought.
- Stop playing the mistake over and over in your head. When you find yourself starting to replay the mistake in your head, go for a walk, read a book, play a game, exercise…do something to change the thoughts.
- When you make a mistake use it as a learning experience. Mistakes are a part of life, you will make them! No one is immune from making mistakes. Mistakes are a way for us to learn and grow, not self-hate. Reflect on the mistake and how it has affected you and others. Look at it from all sides. Why did you make the m0istake? What were you thinking when you made the mistake? Who was hurt by the mistake? Journal on the mistake and really learn what you did, why you did it, and who you hurt. Then think about how you will avoid making the same mistake in the future. Learn from the mistake.
- If you hurt others, or even just yourself, you need to ask for forgiveness. This is not as hard or as easy as it may seem. You can say to the person or yourself, “I am really sorry I hurt you, what can I do to make this better?” At this point, if you are truly sorry, it is up to them or you to give forgiveness or for you to forgive yourself. At this time take time to reflect on what you can do to make it better for the people you have hurt or yourself. It may seem impossible to make things better, but there is always a way to make it better.
- Now is the time to put the mistake behind you and move on. Say to yourself, “I made a mistake, I have learned from that mistake, and I will never make that same mistake again.” Then let it go. To help you release yourself from the mistake you can write the mistake down and burn it or visualize the mistake and put it in a box, lock the box and walk away. Do whatever you need to do to forgive yourself and let go of the mistake to truly heal.
Again, we all make mistakes it is how you deal with that mistake that will define you, not the mistake. Remember, you cannot go back in time and change the mistake, but you can grow and become a better person from having made that mistake. Learning and growing, that is what we do when we make mistakes…even if someone cannot forgive you, you need to forgive yourself and move on.
Love you all my family and friends, thank you for supporting me in all my good times and all my bad times!
Have you made a mistake that plays over and over in your head? What are you going to do, today to forgive yourself?
This post may contain Amazon and other affiliate links and I earn money from qualifying purchases. For further information see our Disclosure Policy.